Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A little choked up

I have been quite openly critical of Obama's background and politics on here, but there is something very special about witnessing this moment in our history. We, America, a nation saddled with the history and effects of slavery, have elected a black president. Even if I knew academically that he was going to win, the actual realization that we now have a black president is somewhat startling, and whatever our problems, I can't help but feel a surge of optimism. At a minimum, it is nice to be reminded once in a while that we are truly a remarkable nation.

Although I was critical of him, I wish him, and therefore our nation, the best. I will be cheering for him to fulfill the hope that many of the people on this board invested in him. Hopefully, the fears I expressed will be born out as needless hand-wringing.

Either way, this night has reminded me how proud and lucky I am to be an American. It's a nice feeling.

No comments: