Monday, November 10, 2008

100% Defense of "Indentured Community Service"

First time I actually get the time to write on the blog.

While I'm somewhat shocked to find I agree with Aztec, I do support Obama's idea of community service. I'm not sure that the economics work out, but in principle I think every American should do some form of service - in fact, I'd take it farther than Obama and make it mandatory, and even link it to getting access to certain benefits, a la "Starship Troopers" (not the horrible movie, the book). Admittedly extending voting priviliges to only those who have served is probably too far, but I think the concept remains sound. To me, it's not about the economic return on such a program, it's about creating a sense of service and duty within most Americans who right now take for granted the benefits we enjoy. It could be military service, Peace Corps, working for the Post Office - whatever.

And yes, I'm well aware of the irony in my conservative self being a proponent of a big government program, especially considering that I think most large government programs are inefficient as hell.

No comments: