Saturday, October 25, 2008

Irrelevant Distractions versus Real Concerns

I find all the discussion of political supporter behavior to be a major distraction. And irrelevant. So there some are hard-core bigots at McCain rallies, and there are clearly some delusional (and self-mutilating) lunatics supporting McCain. BFD.

I saw this same behavior when Ron Paul was still in the running. Commentators would lock on to the behavior and views of a handful of supporters, and then tar the candidate because the supporter supported him. But this is a completely false argument (there is actually a philosophical/rhetorical term for this kind of false attack, but I can't remember what it is).

It is safe to say that both Obama and McCain have their own set of delusional, nasty, and obsessive supporters. Their actions should have no bearing on anyone's decision.

But when the candidate himself has done something of significance, it ought to be news. If you remember, I mentioned that I was worried that Obama was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Documented reports on his political background just reaffirm those fears.

I still find it disappointing, if not all that shocking, that the media has not dug into Obama's history in Chicago nearly as assiduously as they raked up details from Palin's past. I'm not a fan of Palin and think she was a pretty weak VP choice, but when I compare the mauling she has taken in the media versus the near-worship that the media offers Obama, you simply cannot convince me the media is not completely in the tank for Obama.

No comments: